The 2013 Challenge event has been scheduled for June 13, 2013. As stated above, the Challenge theme is “Judging a Book by Its Cover.” If you are like me, you need plenty of time to percolate an idea – so this announcement is coming to you 7 months in advance! Here are some of the important criteria:
- Quilt design must be inspired by the cover of a book (quilt books excluded) – but not be an exact replica of the book. You could be inspired by the color, graphics, title – or anything else you find on the cover. We hope to NOT have 50 quilts in “shades of grey.”
- The quilt must be 3 layers and quilted by hand or machine.
- The quilt must include a “recognizable amount” of the selected fabric(see photo) which features a navy blue background with colorful book spines forming circular designs. The exact amount of fabric that must be used will be determined and announced later.
- The qualifying fabric must be used in the body of the quilt – using as the binding or backing do not count as meeting the fabric challenge.
- Fat quarters of the fabric will be available for sale at the Guild meetings for $2.00 per FQ. If you need to have the fabric mailed to you, please add $1.00, and send your request to me at 980 Via Regina, SB, CA 93111.
- You will need to submit a full-size (book size), color copy or photo of the book cover which inspires your quilt, to be displayed alongside your quilt on the night of the Challenge.
- The quilt size cannot exceed 140” perimeter (for example, 30” x 30” – or 20” x 40”.) It cannot be smaller than 36” perimeter (9” x 9” or 8” x 10”). For those who haven’t studied geometry in a while, perimeter is the entire measurement of the outside edge of the quilt – all sides.
- All quilts and documents are due at the May Guild meeting. (any exceptions, please contact Karen Pickford or Mary Ballard.
Stay tuned for more updates – as some of these rules may be clarified and modified as we determine the need. For now – head to the bookstore or library and start getting inspired!